Thursday, May 30, 2013

And Then There Were Two

After a great batch of returns on the artelopes front Tuesday. Wednesday got even better as another of the great white whales found their way home. This return was probably the biggest surprise I will ever get when it comes to adding a card into the collection. The team is the Aberdeen IronBirds, and here was the bait.


My daughter couldn't believe I was even going to mail this out. I did a search on the internet, and this logo came up as an alternate look. Aberdeen just changed their logo this upcoming season with a much better look. The new logo in my opinion is way cooler than the old style, and should serve its purpose of increasing merchandise sales. While my art isn't as good as the real thing it did let them know I was serious.


The grey card on the left is the business card, and honestly was worth the wait. Now why would this card be so tough that it would be a card I actually never thought I'd add into the collection. It's the small logo on the back.


I have talked to another collector who was able to get one for his collection. He asked for a couple of the cards, and was told he was lucky to be getting the one card he got. I guess the team is worried that since the Ripken's own the team people want the cards just for that logo on the back. In this age of eBay the team is afraid people only want the card to sell, and having the Ripken logo makes it more valuable.

The interesting part of this story is the Ripken's own more teams than just Aberdeen, and business cards from those teams were quite easy to come by. Who cares what their reasoning is. All I know is that we can now cross another of the great white whales off the list, and as the post says.

AND THEN THERE WERE TWO

Currently those two are the Bluefield Blue Jays, and Princeton Rays. Both teams are from the Appalachian League which is a rookie level league. If anyone out there can come up with either one or both I'd be forever in your debt.

No comments:

Post a Comment