Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Slurpee Goes Junior Style

While I had a post in the past about Slurpee discs, and my love for these things. What I didn't show off were the Ken Griffey Jr. discs in the collection. Being we are doing Junior week, what better time to show off the Griffey Jr. discs than today?


This disc is from the 1992 collection, and odds are isn't a regional disc. When these came out I was at the end of my going crazy over Slurpee faze, and have very few. Luckily this is one of the few I was able to get on the bottom of a cup.


Coming from 1991 it's my belief that the discs from this year were regionalized. Living in the northwest the set was mostly Mariners players with some from the other west coast teams. What this meant is two discs had Griffey Jr. on them. This first disc honored the fact that father, and son were on the Mariners. This is a pretty cool looking disc that flashes from Senior to Junior as you move it.


The second of the discs containing Junior. This disc was nothing but Junior with one picture Junior's face. The tilted picture revealed that sweet swing that made him the great he is. Reading the caption his greatness was already starting to shine through. By this point he already had a Gold Glove, and was leading the team in home runs, and RBI's. Not bad for a guy in his first two years.

These are pretty cool, and something I really enjoy looking back at. One of these days I'll have to break out the entire 1991 collection I have, and show off the other Mariners in this set. Until then this is Junior's party.

1 comment:

  1. I remember heading down to the local 7-11 in the 80's... searching for the special cups with the baseball coins. But this is the first time I've ever seen 7-11 coins from the 90's. Great stuff. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete