Tuesday, September 16, 2014

Bagging A Big One

On Saturday I managed to bag some cards I thought were going to take forever to get. Not only was I able to get these cards, but in a bigger batch than I ever thought imaginable.

Starting my way around the card show, one of the first tables I stopped at had a fantastic deal going. He was trying to clear out boxes of unwanted cards, and had some sweet deals for those cards. We are talking a 1500 count box of cards for ten dollars sweet. Having four boxes of these cards all with the brands, and years listed on each box. If I was still trying to build the 2013 Topps set I would have bought the Topps box without hesitation. Looking back I should have maybe opened the box, and bought it anyways, but I didn't. Not seeing any sets I was building in any of the boxes I passed on them all. Included in his sweet deals were full sets of cards in binders for cheap prices as well. I passed on those as well. Maybe it was the shock of seeing a box labeled 'silver signatures, make an offer'.

That one box appealed to me, and blew me away when I opened the box. What I saw was not only silver signatures, but the 1995 Upper Deck Collectors Choice Special Edition. A set that I have been trying to build for awhile, and have made very slow progress on. Without thinking about whether or not I need everything in the box I grabbed it before anyone else could.


As I held the box wondering what it might contain, and how many cards I could use for my set. The thought of what I should offer for the box kept running through my mind. I didn't want to insult him with a lowball offer, but odds are all the best cards were going to be missing I thought. That would leave me trying to build a set that needed all the most expensive cards. Boy was I wrong!


Can it get any more serious than the rookie cards of Derek Jeter, and A-Roid?

Keeping the idea that nothing good would be found inside, and who knows how many cards could be in there. What I did know was the box was close to half full, and was what I thought a 220 box. Since being away from cards so long I've forgotten the different cardboard box sizes. Thinking there had to be some help for my set I asked if he would take a couple dollars? My hope was that by keeping it vague he would counter, and give me a price this was going to cost idea. Instead he went with what is a couple dollars?

Three?? Sounds good he answered back with. So for the mere price of three dollars my 1995 Upper Deck Collectors Choice Special Edition silver signatures set took a major blow.


When the smoke had cleared there were 79 cards I need for my set. Now that was better than I ever imagined when I picked up this box of cards. Another 27 cards are doubles, and available if anyone else out there is as sick as I am and is attempting to build this set.

Interestingly this was a sign of how my day was going to go.


Five of these were found in dime boxes. While I know that these weren't part of the special edition set, and were part of the regular collectors choice. I couldn't help, but pick them up as I just think they will look cool with the SE silver signatures.

Finishing up all this silver glory were some cards for much later posts. I found a decent amount of cards for future 'It Still Hurts To Watch' posts. So until we go to the coast, or I use them when we go on vacation next these will go into a box. Then there were the stadium cards from Monday's post.

Overall I have to say I was more than thrilled with the results of this card show. While the dealers weren't very happy due to the heat keeping their sales down. I heard a few commenting about how they thought it being so sunny had people out swimming, or other activities that weren't card related. All this meant the deals were there for the taking.

Even a dealer himself made a great deal. The guy selling all the cards was bought out within five minutes of me walking away. One of the shows regular dealers bought him out all out at once. He loaded up everything in a shopping cart, and took it to his car for looking through later. If he hadn't done that I might have bought a box myself when I finally regained my composure, and been thinking more clearly.

4 comments:

  1. It is so cool when you can find deals like that, and believe it or not, they can be found. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good deals can be found if you are willing to take the time to look for them. Congrats on yours.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's awesome! Always cool to find a card you're looking for, let alone 79 cards!

    ReplyDelete