Monday, March 25, 2013

Party Time!

Not for me though. On Sunday the daughter had an invite from one of her friends for a birthday party. What that meant is a run up to a local retailer for a birthday present. If you have a tween then you know what that means. If you don't then I'll let you into the trend.

In our part of the world right now the big items are rubber type bracelets. Most people would recognize them as those Livestrong bracelets, but with phrases now. They come in a ton of colors, and most have some sort of saying on them. My daughter's favorites right now are her 'Soft Kitty, Warm Kitty' bracelet, and a 'Free Hugs' bracelet. They also have some that are much thinner that have no sayings on them, but you can wear 20 without a problem so you can be more colorful.


The other hot item is the printed duct tape. These come in all sorts of weird designs, and kids make just as many things with the tape. My daughter's big item currently is flowers. Earlier in the year it was bracelets so who knows what it will be next.

What does all this have to do with baseball cards you ask? While getting her friend bracelets, and duct tape I convinced her we needed to stroll down to the baseball card section. Getting a slight sigh she then decided it might be an opportunity to get another new hot item for tweens, the dog tag. While I started the search for 2013 Opening Day cards she looked at the Angry Birds dog tags.

 As she picked up three new tags for herself I noticed that the cards had finally came in. If you read on Friday they didn't have any which was a huge disappointment. Today would be a different story as sitting just below the flagship jumbo's were eight Opening Day jumbo packs. Quickly I grabbed one looking like if I didn't move fast they might disappear. Happy with the discovery I was still a touch disappointed as they didn't have any packs, just the few jumbos.

Waiting until we got home before I could open my treasure. I was excited to open my first jumbo of these cards. While I was happy with what I got it wasn't what I'd hoped for.


I'm not a fan of the Ballpark Fun subset myself so I won't be collecting these. The Opening Day Stars subset was one that didn't interest me at first. Now that I've seen the cards in person I'm on the fence. As I buy more packs we will see if the subset still grows on me or if it goes back to a no interest. Now the mascots, and the Play Hard subsets are two that I plan on trying to complete. Another card I thought looked great was the blue sparkle card below.


Hopefully I can get more of these for my favorite players. Until then I'll just have to figure out what to do with the one I currently have.

No comments:

Post a Comment