Saturday, February 22, 2014

Reliving 1985 Cardboard Style

Another Saturday of errands, and another trip to the Goodwill. This time the wife wanted to make a trip to WinCo which meant I got to visit the thrift store. Not just any store, but one that I barely ever get to visit. Excited about the trip we headed off for errands. Going through the store I struck gold in two totally different forms. The first was a sight that looked awfully familiar.


More sheets for putting cards, and schedules into. A total of 42 new sheets for future use to be exact. All those sheets, and binder for the cost of 2.99. This means I've picked up over 100 sheets in the past week. Not a terrible week if you ask me.

The 42 sheets wasn't even the best pick up from this trip. My real treasure, and the reason for the name of this post. Wrapped in plastic, and sitting all nice, and neat waiting for my to find them a home. A collection of 1985 Donruss. As I picked up the bag my first thought was all the big names would be gone. I wasn't going to let this stop me though. It looked like a fun adventure to see what I'd find inside.


One of the first things that stuck out to me. The old team logos that were used during 1985. One of the coolest things if you ask me is getting to see these logos once again. Seeing those old logos is the entire reason I have the baseball business cards collection.


When these cards first came out as a kid I didn't care for them at all. I would collect any Cubs players, but that was only for my Cubs collection. Outside of those very few cards these were garbage to me. It's amazing how almost thirty years can change your outlook on these cards. Now that I'm older I can appreciate the look of these cards. I don't collect them, but can still appreciate them.


Looking through the 'Rated Rookies'  I'm going to say he took the best few out. I can't remember this set very well so who's missing is anybody's guess. Out of the batch I recognize only one name, and that is Tartabull.

Not only was the bag loaded with somewhere between 100-200 Donruss. There was a stack of between 50-100 Fleer goodness from the same year.


These are the five teams who's cards were in the bag. Not a bad selection of teams to have gotten. The players all shown above were the best of the bunch though. Didn't surprise me as I expected all the huge names to be picked out.

Overall this was a fun group of cards to look through, and well worth what I spent on them. They had another baggy that had another huge batch of 1985 Donruss, and I think they were 1985 Topps.  In the end I just didn't pull the trigger on the second bag. If you are working on a set for either of these, or want specific teams. Post it on here, and I'll see what I can do for you. Keep in mind that there were no big names in the lot. Some minor stars were in the bag, but no biggies.



No comments:

Post a Comment