Monday, February 17, 2014

Getting Lucky (part 1)

Not that type of lucky! Finally my luck started to turn around on Monday. Deciding to head south as it's something I've been wanting to do for awhile now. Finally the weather held out enough that I decided it was worth making the trip. A trip that I was glad we made due to some of the results. I say we as the daughter decided to come along at the last minute.

Heading out a little later than originally planned which ended up being a positive. We made the trek south in the rain, and wind. Our first stop was the Goodwill that I've been itching to visit. Starting the row by row search it was down the first row I hit the first treasure.


Seeing the binder at first I passed as it wasn't priced. Thinking it would cost around ten dollars as inside was an almost complete set of these.


Before you ask yourself why would the cat buy a set of 1991 Score? Is he out of his mind? I will save you from wondering the answer to those questions. First is I am out of my mind, but that isn't the answer to the questions. The reason for buying this binder would be the pages holding the set. After counting up all the pages there are 92 pages for holding real cards. I could scrap that entire partial set, and be ahead just on the pages.
        As I said before, initially I passed thinking it would cost ten dollars or more for the binder. As I went down the next row the daughter caught up with me. Trying to catch her before boredom caught in. We finished the row, and headed down the next. Looking back at the binder I convinced her to go get a price check. Imagine my surprise when she came back, and it had a $4.99 sticker on it. SOLD!!

Going to the sporting goods section I came across these three goodies.


I keep telling myself I need to stop buying these logo baseballs. That is until I get the ones I already own displayed. Then I come across anywhere from one to three balls, and I buy them. My biggest challenge will be buying a bunch of ball-cubes to display the collection. I have problems buying a ball-cube for three dollars or more when the ball only cost me a dollar. I do have a couple cool looking bowls that hold some of the balls, but it still leaves over half the collection needing some form of a home.

Next on our agenda was a trip to Toys-R-Us. I have been trying to find the Macfarlane, Mike Trout figure with him ready to steal a base. I saw one in the fall when I bought the smaller figure. Ever since turning that one away I have been kicking myself in the butt. Maybe sometime soon I'll give in, and order one from Amazon or something. Sadly this was a stop where luck wasn't running with me as they had every figure except Trout. I did manage to find a small token to add into the collection though.


All this, and I haven't even gotten to one of the two reasons I wanted to head south. That will have to wait for part two tomorrow.

2 comments:

  1. I love Good Will Stores !
    Like you, I always consider the pages if they are high quality.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Man... looks like I've gotta go to Goodwill more often. Those balls are awesome! And the old school feel to that binder.

    ReplyDelete